Lets face it, it’s hard enough to exercise before kids, but once babies are in the picture exercising quickly gets put on the back burner! A mom’s job is endless: 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year. It doesn’t matter if you work outside the home or not, the responsibilities of raising children is nonstop and demanding. The best way to keep up with this magnitude of responsibility is to maintain your health. Proper nutrition and daily exercise are essential to keeping YOU in the best health you can be to effectively manage your beautiful tribe.
The question remains: How does a busy mom maintain an exercise routine when she can barely manage all of her daily tasks as it is? Mothers can make every excuse in the ‘book’ not to exercise. Removing those excuses is the key to creating a healthy exercise routine which can carry you through motherhood and beyond. The following steps are simple yet effective ways to insure you are taking the best care of yourself through physical activity; so that you can adequately serve your family.
- Ask the Lord to help you establish a life-long exercise routine that is within your physical capabilities.
- Don’t compare yourself to other women, especially fitness models who have most likely been ‘airbrushed’.
- Commit to waking each morning before your children to exercise a minimum of 5 days a week.
- Choose short, yet effective workouts such as HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) combined with weighted exercise (use some dumb bells, they help to build strong bones and keep osteoporosis at bay).
- Invite an accountability partner to join along in your fitness journey. Share your victories and struggles with each other, but most importantly hold each other accountable to your daily workouts!
HIIT workouts have been my saving grace to remaining committed to a daily exercise regime. I exercise 6 days a week for 15 minutes with moderate exercise sequences which target my whole body. Through this type of exercise I have been able to lose 50 pounds and maintain the weight-loss for 6 years, and nearly 4 pregnancies. This types of short yet intense workouts are super easy to incorporate into a busy moms schedule. For more details on how I use HIIT in my busy mom life, check out this post.
One of a mom’s most important assets is her health. Without a healthy body she is unable to sufficiently manage her home and serve her family. Our families deserves the best that we can give them. When we purpose to maintain a healthy diet and remain committed to daily exercise our bodies respond with improved sleep, ample energy, positive mindset, as well as reduced sickness and injuries. I encourage you to make today the last day of excuses in regards to NOT exercising. The steps listed above are the exact ones I have used to remain faithful to my daily exercise routine for the past 6 years. I invite you to use the same steps to make your health a priority with a personal workout program that can easily fit into your busy mom life.
P.S. If you would like some support and encouragement in regards to your fitness routine, I’d love to help you. Check out my services page where I share about my Health & Fitness Coaching, and simply send me an email to set up your FREE 15 minute consultation!